The spring meeting of the William & Mary Alumni Association Board of Directors was held in New York on March 12-13, 2015. The meeting focused on the activities of the committees in the areas of Board Development, Signature Events, Communications, Finance and Investment, Career Connections, and Chapter and Regional Initiatives. Matthew Lambert ’99, vice president for University Advancement, was a guest presenter and attendee at the meeting to discuss Advancement and Alumni Engagement priorities.
- Reviewed the policy and nominations for the Alumni Service and Young Alumni Service Awards. Recipients of the Alumni Service Awards were Mark S. Batzel ’88, J. Van Black ’75, Eric H. Chen ’00 and Mark J. Hall ’84; Nathan T. Belcher ’09 and Lauren Schantz Chen ’02 were awarded the Young Alumni Service Award.
- Approved a recommendation to award the 2015 Faculty and Staff Service Award to Robert Byrd, domicile officer and customer service representative of the Office of the University Registrar.
- Reviewed and approved 2015 Alumni Fellowship Awards for Eric Han (History), Neil Norman (Anthropology), Jonathan Scheerer (Chemistry), Molly Swetnam-Burland (Classical Studies), Jeremy Stoddard (Education).
- Approved Chapter Awards as follows: Outstanding Chapter, Tier I – Richmond, Tier II – Charlottesville; Most Improved – New York City; Honorable Mention – San Francisco Bay Area.
- Approved the 2015 Homecoming Grand Marshals John ’75 and Sue Gerdelman ’76.
- Approved changes to Board Policies on Alumni Association Councils, Alumni Service Award and Young Alumni Service Award.
- Approved administrative change to the bylaws to reflect conditions driven by the merger with University Advancement.
- Accorded Associate Alumni status to eight retiring staff or faculty members.
- Reviewed actions of the Alumni House Expansion Task Force.
- Reviewed the progress against the MOU covering the merger of the WMAA staff and University Advancement.
The following slate of officers for 2015-16 was approved: President Cynthia S. Jarboe ’77; Vice President Glenn W. Crafford ’77; Secretary Lydia R. Pulley ’85; and Treasurer Kevin J. Turner ’95.
At the close of the meeting, Sophie Lee ’90, Susan P. Manix ’79 and Mark J. Linaugh ’84 began their terms on the Board. Members Ted R. Dintersmith ’74, Barbara Cole Joynes ’82 and Susan S. Newman ’79 concluded their terms. David N. Kelley ’81 will remain on as immediate past president.
The next regular meetings of the Board of Directors were scheduled for June 12-13 and Sept. 24-25, 2015, in Williamsburg.
Board Nominations Reminder
The Alumni Association Board is always looking for talented and interested new members and encourages nominations from the membership. Nominations are accepted all year long but those received after June 1 in any year are held for consideration for the following year’s ballot. Nominations received after that are held for consideration until the following year. Please consider nominating someone for the Alumni Board. Details are at www.wmalumni.com/?bod_nomination.