William & Mary Alumni Association Board Notes
April 1, 2016
The winter meeting of the William & Mary Alumni Association Board of Directors was held at the Alumni House in Williamsburg, Va., Feb. 3-5, 2016. On Thursday, Feb. 3, new members of the board were present from 2-5 p.m. for a new member orientation and training session. Beginning on Feb. 4, the full board commenced with business with approvals of consent agenda items and alumni awards, and received reports from the finance and investment and board development committees on committee actions. Beginning with lunch on Friday, the Board joined with the Board of Visitors, the Foundation Board and the Annual Giving Board for the annual joint boards meeting, receiving and participating in updates on progress of the College and the campaign. On Friday, Alumni Board committee chairs began and led discussions on activities, progress and goals for the Board and their committees followed by strategic planning reviews. In addition to committee reports, the Board received updates on: planning for the W&M Weekend in Washington, scheduled for June 2-5, 2016; volunteer management and alumnae initiatives, focusing on women and philanthropy studies and initiatives as well as activities around planning the 100-year anniversary of co-education at W&M in 2018. Other significant discussion and decisions were made on the following actions:
- Accepted the appointments of Michele Zimmer Ball '78 and Christopher B. Powers '73 to fill unexpired terms of two board vacancies
- Accorded associate alumni status to 63 retiring College faculty members
- Awarded the Alumni Fellowship Awards to Assistant Professors Christopher Freiman (Philosophy), John T. Lombardini (Government), Pieter Peers (Computer Science), Kristin L. Wustholz (Chemistry), and Professor of Law Tara L. Grove
- Awarded the Alumni Association Faculty/Staff Service Award to John Dutro, support services coordinator for Facilities Management
- Accorded Honorary Alumnus status to John B. Daly, Michael J. Fox, Robert A. Glacel, Joseph and Sharon Muscarelle, and Deborah B. Spirn
- Reviewed and approved the audit financial statements and IRS Form 990 for filing and posting to the Alumni website
- Reviewed status of the Alumni Association Campaign funding goals and update on the Alumni House expansion planning and fundraising
The next regular meeting of the Board of Directors will be Thursday and Friday, June 2-3, 2016, in Washington, D.C., in conjunction with the W&M Weekend in Washington and Alumni Association Auction. The next annual membership meeting of the Association will be held Friday, June 3. Watch for location information in upcoming editions of Hark! and on the Association website.
To nominate someone deserving for the Alumni Association Board of Directors, please visit the Board of Directors page under About Us at wmalumni.com. Nominations are accepted all year long but must be received by April 1 to be considered for that election year.
NEW BOARD MEMBERS
The William & Mary Alumni Association would like to thank former Alumni Association President David Kelley '81 and board members Christopher Adkins '95, Ph.D. '09; Thomas Flesher '73 and Kevin Turner '95 for their years of faithful service during an important time of transition and strategic importance. They will be replaced in June by Bruce Christian '73; Carla Shaffer Moreland '81, J.D. '84; Todd Norris '86 and David Scott '93. In addition, Michele Zimmer Ball '78 and Christopher B. Powers '73 have been appointed to fill the unexpired terms of two board vacancies.