The fall meeting of the William & Mary Alumni Association Board of Directors was held at the Alumni House in Williamsburg, Sept. 24-25. The executive committee met on Thursday morning with the full board commencing at noon. The board president, executive director and board committee chairs presented and led discussions on activities, progress and goals for the board and their committees. On Friday, the full board reconvened and received updates on the Association’s investment portfolio, its annual financial audit and campaign planning. The board also participated in discussions with President W. Taylor Reveley, III, working group discussions with chapter presidents in town for their summit and a discussion with John Tannous of the Educational Advisory Board on the New Rules of Engagement. Other significant discussion and decisions were made on the following actions:
- Approved increasing the number of regular board meetings to three times per year: Charter Day Weekend, June and September.
- The board reviewed the policy for the Alumni Medallion and voted to exclude College employees from consideration while actively employed by the College.
- Accorded Associate Alumni status to 41 retiring College faculty members.
- Accorded Honorary Alumnus status to Robert E. Fritts.
- Reviewed nominations for the Alumni Medallion. Recipients, to be honored Feb. 6, 2016, are Glenmore Hines Harding ’65; Jane T. Kaplan ’56; Walter W. Stout III ’64; Ann Harvey Yonkers ’63.
- Approved the following Chapter Awards: Outstanding Chapter – Greater Metro DC and San Francisco Bay Area; Most Improved Chapter – Chicago; Honorable Mention – New York City.
- Reviewed draft financial audit report and delayed final approval pending posting of CWM Foundation endowment interest figures to the Association budget.
Alumni Association Board Election Results
The Alumni Association Election ballot opened on Sept. 23 and closed on Nov. 6, 2015. With each nominee receiving over 90 percent of votes cast, the new members will begin orientation with the board in February and begin their terms at the June board meeting. Congratulations to Bruce Christian ’73; Carla Moreland ’81, J.D. ’84; Todd Norris ’86 and David Scott ’93.
Also on the ballot was a measure to amend the bylaws to increase the size of the board to 24 elected members, and to change the term length from a single four-year term to a three-year term with eligibility to run for a second consecutive term. That measure passed with 86 percent of voters approving the change.
Nominations for Alumni Association Board
The W&M Alumni Association calls for nominations for its Board of Directors. The Board represents all alumni in its capacity of general and financial policymaking for the Alumni Association. Other responsibilities include serving on ad hoc committees, participating in the Alumni Association’s major fundraising programs including the William & Mary Weekend and the Alumni Leadership Fund, advancing the Alumni Association’s mission both on campus and in their home areas, and assisting in stewardship and cultivation of alumni for leadership and volunteerism.
You may download a nomination form here or call 757.221.7855. The deadline for nominations is June 1, 2016. Elections will be held in the fall. All alumni are eligible to vote.